Studio 1458 w/Kubuntu 10.04: Orange CD/DVD keys don't work

Jason Tiller jason at sonos.org
Tue Aug 17 20:28:37 CDT 2010

Yo, Ward, :)

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010, Ward Poelmans wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 02:16, Jason Tiller <jason at sonos.org> wrote:

>>> The key for Panel/External display just works automatically here.

>> What should I expect?  Should I configure the Kubuntu display
>> settings (System Settings->Displays) to enable both of them?

> I think somewhere an xrandr --auto is executed when pressing the keys.
> So you should see you other display jump on.

OK, I haven't looked at this yet, but I'll check it out.

>>> If the wireless key doesn't work, check your dmesg output.

>> Not much luck there.  NetworkManager doesn't write much to the
>> system log (although daemon.log is helpful).  It doesn't make a lot
>> of sense to me.  My only solution so far has been to reload the
>> iwl{agn,core} modules and then do it all by hand (iwconfig wlan0
>> essid..., etc.).  After a reboot, NetworkManager is up fine.

> Here, i see output from the iwl* modules. It's not networkmanager
> that takes care of the switch, it's the module itself.

Actually, I don't think this issue is related to keymapping, but more
to Ubuntu having a hard time bringing the network hardware down and
then up again in the same session.  A lot of people have created
LaunchPad issues for this kind of issue.

>> You didn't mention the orange "Eject" key (where F13 would be).
>> Does that work for you, too?

> That works also out of the box.

Actually, it works for me, too, I just didn't know it!  By default,
Kubuntu has no system action to eject the CD (at least *I* couldn't*
find one).  However, once I created a launcher to run 'eject' and
mapped it to the orange eject key, it worked perfectly.  Too easy!

Thanks, I appreciate your help!  This is great - pretty much
everything up to snuff!  Woo-hoo!

---Jason