how-to upgrade Vostro V13n to 10.4?

Miguel A. Hernáiz mxhernaiz at gmail.com
Mon Aug 2 10:15:57 CDT 2010

Thank you all for your input. I got my system on Friday, and since my wife
was out of town I spent most of the weekend at home (escaping the heat and)
tinkering with my new Vostro V13n.

As to the update: of course, I followed Mario's advice and created the USB
recovery tool. With that, I used the Update Manager to update to 9.10 first
and from there to 10.04, only to find that when I rebooted into 10.04 the
keyboard and trackpad were unresponsive, so I could not log in.

Since I'm NOT a Linux expert, I decided to reinstall 9.04 with my USB drive.
Again, I upgraded to 9.10, but this time decided to explore that version, to
find that sound did not work (neither speakers nor earphones nor microphone)
and that every time I started the webcam the system would log me out. Since
that was not a usable installation, I tried upgrading to 10.04 again, to see
if the second time around I was luckier. But that wasn't the case.

So I decided to create a bootable USB drive with the Ubuntu 10.04 Dell
Recovery ISO I found at http://linux.dell.com/files/ubuntu/lucid/iso-images...
installed from there and everything works just beautifully (including those
things I find essential, such as WiFi card, sound, webcam and microphone).
In fact, I didn't have to tinker at all to be able to videoconference via
Skype (I told you, my wife was out of town) so I'm really happy with my new
system.

My only "complaint" is that battery life is rather poor considering that
this system has an intel Core 2 ULV processor: 3 hours at best, even less if
watching video. But that is all over the forums on the web, so I already
expected it (same as choppy HD video playback at full screen). However, for
the price paid I think this is a very reasonable system, with good looks,
solid construction and as thin/light as can be found out there but at a much
better price.

Miguel