dellbiosupdate.sh and QtBiosUpdate ;)

José Damián Garrido delhaberno at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 15:49:30 CDT 2009

2009/3/30 Gaetano Andrea Callea <callea.gaetano.andrea at gmail.com>:
> [...]
> got bored and wrote this little script [0];
>
> as you can read in the FAQs:
>
> 1- it works 100% (of course... it uses dell's tools)
> 2- it is tested and safe (i do regularly update my xps m1330's bios)
> 3- i will improve it over time (i plan to make it "launchable" with switches
> like -c (check for new bios) -t (test downloaded bios) -u (update bios) and
> the likes)
>
> but as any piece of code it has a few glitches and needs more love; so i'm
> asking you folks to download it, read it, run it, test it and provide
> feedbacks.
>
> you can safely update you bios with it too =)
>
> at the moment the two things i need most, other than test and feedback, are:
>
> 1- check that the "SYSTEM_ID"; "BIOS_VERSION_BASE"; "COMPUTER"; variable get
> set correctly:
>
>      they do work on my own dell but some user told me that "COMPUTER"
> doesn't get set properly for him.
>      for this i include two alternatives in the code; one with "cut" and the
> other with "awk".
>      please tell me if the awk version works fine. if so i will set
> "COMPUTER" with it from now on.
>      latest version is 0.1.2.1 with awk deafult.
>
> 2- i need the output of "dellBiosUpdate -t -f bios.hdr" for a valid bios so
> i can put it in the script. at the echo.
>      when i first wrote the script i didn't have a check on the bios.hdr
> file and i've updated the bios. so no "positive response" until i get a new
> bios to test. (>a15)
>
> And now something about "QtBiosUpdate":
>
> it all started similarly to this email, i asked people to test the script in
> #kde-devel-it and some got me feedback and some other offered to make an
> interface for it.
>
> well.... the simple GUI to this script would have been a 10 minutes work but
> then we started going deeply into details and realized we could do a better
> thing than a mere interface for the simple things this script does: a real
> Qt application that can update the bios of any vendor (as long as they have
> a tool like dellBiosUpdate that can talk to libsmbios). Qt is our choice for
> some futile reasons as much as some good strong points;
>
> futile reasons:
>  -i use kde 4;
> - i was in a kde developer channel;
> - i know the folks there and they develop for kde so... :P
>
> strong points:
> - Qt4 are cross platfrom and can run on Linux, OS X and Windows;
> - Qt4 are desktop agnostic (so anyone can install it along Qt libs without
> the need of having kde4).
>
> QtBiosUpdate is just a concept at the moment, we are still planning. But
> interesting things may come out of it.
> For example: we plan to make it modular ; the fundamentals will be
> "libsmbios" (we still have to study that) and then we plan to make it
> plguggable with tools such as dellBiosUpdate as long as other vendors
> provide that tool.
>
> so if any of you can be helpful here, it's time to join.

i try to use but

These are some useful informations about your DELL, some of them are
needed to update the BIOS:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/sbin/getSystemId", line 121, in <module>
    sys.exit( main() )
  File "/usr/sbin/getSystemId", line 101, in main
    sys.stdout.write( "%s:" % label)
UnicodeEncodeError: 'ascii' codec can't encode character u'\xf3' in
position 5: ordinal not in range(128)

[...]
Your currently installed BIOS Version is , getting the available BIOS
updates for your .....

These are the available BIOS updates available for your :

1) I already have BIOS Version  installed

Note that you actually *can* install the latest BIOS update without
updating the immediately subsequent version.

Choose the BIOS Version you want to install by typing the corresponding number: