No audio on Vostro 1400

Lee Moffitt lee.moffitt at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 09:49:14 CDT 2009

Hello again! Ed suggested I load " just about everything with ALSA in its
name". I did. Further, I switched over to Gnome from KDE and indeed found
the double-clicking on the speaker icon Ed mentioned. Double clicking brings
up the Volume Control. At the top it says "HDA Intel    (ALSA Mixer)". All
the sliders are set to full volume, with no muting.

Here is the output of " lsmod | grep oss":

snd_pcm_oss            42144  0
snd_mixer_oss          17920  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                78596  2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq_oss            35584  0
snd_seq_midi_event      8320  2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq                54224  6
snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_device          9612  5
snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
snd                    56996  13
snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_hwdep,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device

Still NO sound anywhere. What should I try next (other than buying a new
laptop ;-)    )

Thanks!

Lee M.