Broadcom Wireless problems

Nigel Ridley nigel at prayingforisrael.net
Wed Mar 18 12:51:44 CDT 2009

I am trying to get a Broadcom Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01) wireless card working on a
Vostro A860 running Kubuntu Hardy (8.04).
I have the same card in my Inspiron 1525 which works OK.

I did try experimenting with the latest Kubuntu Live CD (Jaunty Alpha 6) and on my Inspiron it
works just fine (I just need to click on the taskbar network icon and choose my linksys router).
On the Vostro, using the Kubuntu Live CD (Jaunty Alpha 6) the taskbar network icon shows that the
wireless is disconnected and when I try the Hardware Driver Manager it shows the 'wl' driver as
enabled but 'Not in Use'.

What is the difference (hardware wise) between the Vostro and the Inspiron that, both using the
exact same wireless cards (I even swapped the cards from one laptop to the other, just to make
sure) one works and the other doesn't?

Blessings,

Nigel