Broadcom Wi-Fi card not working

Nigel Ridley nigel at prayingforisrael.net
Tue Mar 17 12:49:02 CDT 2009

Mario Limonciello wrote:
> Hi Nigel:
>
> To use the Broadcom card, you generally want to use the 'wl' driver
> instead.  It's available after an update to 8.04.1 or 8.04.2 on Hardy.
> You have to go into Kubuntu's equivalent of the Hardware Drivers
> application to enable it.
>
> It's also available on 8.10 or 9.04 a6.
>
> Regards

Hi Mario,

The laptop is up-to-date but I don't have the 'wl' driver. I do have a 'Broadcom STA' driver
though - although it doesn't work.

I have been getting some success - the card is recognized and it even tries to connect from the
manual setting but doesn't succeed.
If I try 'sudo iwlist wlan1 scan' I get:
'wlan1 no scan results'

Do I have to enable the Dell repositories for the 'wl' driver?

Blessings,

Nigel