Broadcom Wi-Fi card not working

Nigel Ridley nigel at prayingforisrael.net
Tue Mar 17 11:58:01 CDT 2009

My wife has a Vostro A860 that came pre-installed with Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron). I wiped it and
installed Kubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron).
The wireless was working great but then it died (stopped, then started, after a reboot, and died
5 minutes later). The wireless card was an Atheros.

I contacted Dell support and they sent a technician who replaced the Atheros with a Broadcom
Corporation BCM4312 802.11b/g (rev 01).

But after installing the drivers and ndsiwrapper following the guide:
http://linuxwireless.org/en/users/Drivers/b43
which didn't get it working, so I then tried:
http://nostradistro.com/2008/05/05/dell-inspirion-1525-wifi-driver-ubuntu-804/
(I had to google the cache page)
which also didn't get it working.

I know that the new card does work as I popped it into my Inspiron 1525 which has a identical
card. 'My' card is now in the Vostro and doesn't work.

How can I wipe my efforts at installing all the above stuff and start afresh?
Could it be that the problem is not the card at all but something on the motherboard?

I do intend to install Jaunty soon but it is still only Alpha 6 -- would it help me anyway?

Blessings

Nigel