No audio on Vostro 1400

ed horned0wl93 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 19:02:30 CDT 2009

Lee Moffitt wrote:

>     Do you have OSS or ALSA as your primary audio driver/controller?
>      When you
>     double-click on the speaker icon in your system tray, how many
>     tales are
>     available for adjustment?
>
>     Try the terminal command:  lsmod | grep oss  ; cut and paste your
>     results in here.
>
>     Cheers;
>     Ed
>

> I assumed I have ALSA - don't know. How do I tell?
> Double-clicking on the speaker icon doesn't get me anything (?).
> Single click shows one channel. Right click (into KMix) gives me
> choice of multiple channels for Master Channel, and window with
> multiple inputs, outputs and switches.

> Here is result of " lsmod | grep oss" command:
> snd_pcm_oss            42144  0
> snd_mixer_oss          17920  1 snd_pcm_oss
> snd_pcm                78596  3 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss
> snd_seq_oss            35584  0
> snd_seq_midi_event      8320  2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
> snd_seq                54224  6
> snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
> snd_seq_device          9612  5
> snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
> snd                    56996  19
> snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_hwdep,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device
Everything in here shows me that you're running bare-bones /OSS/ (open
source sound).  If you have such access, go into your Synaptic Package
Manager (/System>Administration>Synaptic.../), search for "/ALSA/," and
tag just about everything with ALSA in its name.  At the moment, you
don't have access to deep-level audio control.  The ALSA controls will
give you the double-click capability on your system tray speaker-icon,
and show you where you're either muted, or have the audio turned to -0-.

(Also, have you setup your access to the Gnome-Control-Center?
(//usr/bin/gnome-control-center/ -- analogous to the Winderz Control
Panel, but much better!)  If you do, and can get at it, there's a sound
tool in the hardware section that you can use to test whether your
system is raw OSS or ALSA controlled.)

Try it, and let us know what luck!

Cheers;
Ed