No audio on Vostro 1400

J. Epperson Dell at epperson.homelinux.net
Sun Mar 15 09:25:41 CDT 2009

On Sun, March 15, 2009 06:53, Lee Moffitt wrote:
> J. Epperson wrote:
>
> Uninstall pulseaudio and see what happens.  I know it's the future of
>> Linux sound, but at present it's buggy and has erratic, intermittent
>> results.  You can always put it back if it's not the issue.
>>

> No changes (no audio). When it is uninstalled, do I need to install
> something else in its place??
> Thanks

No.  Pulse is essentially a middleman for the underlying sound drivers.
Take it out of play and you fall back to using the drivers directly.  Was
worth checking, since I've had all kinds of intermittent sound breakage on
systems that ran pulse that stopped occurring when I removed it.  If
you're not doing advanced sound editing/mixing or playing sound
files/streams on one machine and listening on a different machine, you're
unlikely to miss it.