No audio on Vostro 1400

oldcpu oldcpu at opensuse-forums.org
Sun Mar 15 08:56:20 CDT 2009

I don't know Ubuntu, but for openSUSE, I do not think this is a Pulse
Audio issue.

IMHO its more likely the auto probe of the alsa sound driver did not
properly configure your sound card upon your booting your PC.  Hence
inthe case of openSUSE-11.0, one would insert the line

options snd-hda-intel model=3stack

at the start of one's /etc/modprobe.d/sound file, then reboot and test
one's sound . The idea is that setting will configure your alsa-sound
drive with the appropriate settings.

In the case of Ubuntu, this file may be called the
/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base file (I 'm not a Ubuntu user, so I don't know).