No audio on Vostro 1400

Lee Moffitt lee.moffitt at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 05:43:44 CDT 2009

> Do you have OSS or ALSA as your primary audio codec?  When you
> double-click on the speaker icon in your system tray, how many tales are
> available for adjustment?
>
> Try the terminal command:  lsmod | grep oss  ; cut and paste your
> results in here.
>
> Cheers;
> Ed

I assumed I have ALSA - don't know. How do I tell?
Double-clicking on the speaker icon doesn't get me anything (?). Single
click shows one channel. Right click (into KMix) gives me choice of multiple
channels for Master Channel, and window with multiple inputs, outputs and
switches.
Here is result of " lsmod | grep oss" command:
snd_pcm_oss            42144  0
snd_mixer_oss          17920  1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_pcm                78596  3 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss
snd_seq_oss            35584  0
snd_seq_midi_event      8320  2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
snd_seq                54224  6
snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_device          9612  5
snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq
snd                    56996  19
snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_oss,snd_pcm,snd_hwdep,snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_device