Linux-Desktops Digest, Vol 32, Issue 14

Herzog herzog at frontiernet.net
Sat Mar 14 18:32:39 CDT 2009

The real audio fix is still being awaited.
This Alsa

linux-desktops-request at dell.com wrote:
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. No audio on Vostro 1400 (Lee Moffitt)
>    2. Re: No audio on Vostro 1400 (ed)
>    3. Re: No audio on Vostro 1400 (J. Epperson)
> 3. Occasionally (maybe 1 time in 100) when I boot up into Ubuntu, I do get
> sound!
I get a lot better ratio, I get it 90 percent. and 100 percent if I plug
in an external amp, even though the laptop speakers have quit.
............>
> Do you have OSS or ALSA as your primary audio codec?  When you
> double-click on the speaker icon in your system tray, how many tales are
> available for adjustment?

I have ALSA now (Ubuntu updates, I take them all, so don't know about
before), AND HAVE IT FOUND IT'S VOLUME CONTROL TURNED DOWN, AND ANOTHER
tab with a box that
> Uninstall pulseaudio and see what happens.  I know it's the future of
> Linux sound, but at present it's buggy and has erratic, intermittent
> results.  You can always put it back if it's not the issue.
This pulseaudio vs Alsa is fanned by something else that is cutting the
speakers on or off.  I'd say that most reports of Orca coming in or out
are also misreported because I doubt that many others use an external
amp.  And it only works in one of the two earphone outputs.
Herzog