No audio on Vostro 1400

Lee Moffitt lee.moffitt at gmail.com
Fri Mar 13 20:52:19 CDT 2009

Hi!

I've owned a Vostro 1400 for about a year now, and have gone through several
iterations of Ubuntu with ZERO sound. (I'm currently on 8.04). I've tried
various suggestions offered here and on other boards without success. ANY
help would be appreciated. Here are some other factoids:
1. I get sound just fine on my Windoz (XP) dual boot.
2. I did a triple boot of openSuSE11.0, but no sound on it, either.
3. Occasionally (maybe 1 time in 100) when I boot up into Ubuntu, I do get
sound!

Weird, huh?