530n, Ubuntu 8.04, recovery disk killed desktop

Mario_Limonciello at Dell.com Mario_Limonciello at Dell.com
Wed Mar 11 09:41:11 CDT 2009

Hi:

Please try running the recovery disk without the network cable plugged
in.

Regards

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-desktops-bounces at dell.com
[mailto:linux-desktops-bounces at dell.com] On Behalf Of
h.archeoflatulensis
Sent: Wednesday, March 11, 2009 9:23 AM
To: linux-desktops
Subject: 530n, Ubuntu 8.04, recovery disk killed desktop

Greetings, all -

     I have a Dell 530n with an ATI Radeon 2400 video card, and
Ubuntu 8.04, factory installed. Originally.

     I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.10 over the net, which went okay
except I could not enable flgrx. After devoting a day to trying
to dumb my way through video problems, I re-installed with the
Dell-supplied Canonical Ubuntu Live CD. That does not deal with
the ATI card.

     I then reverted with the recovery disk I burned when I got
the machine.

     This re-install killed my desktop. The splash and login
screen are normal, but instead of Gnome, I get a blank white
screen.

	When I ctrl-alt-F1'ed to a console session, the top of the
screen read:

"flgrx (8.476): Installing module.
	Kernel source for 2.6.24-23-generic not installed. Cannot
install this module."

	I assume this explains why I've got no desktop - just
a blank white screen with a mouse pointer.

	After logging in, the greeting text began with
"Linux dell-desktop 2.6.24-23-generic #1 SMP Mon Jan 26 00:13:11
UTC 2009 i686".

     I have no idea how to proceed, I hope some kind soul can
help.

  - h.