530n, Ubuntu 8.04, recovery disk killed desktop

h.archeoflatulensis h.archeoflatulensis at verizon.net
Wed Mar 11 09:22:58 CDT 2009

Greetings, all -

     I have a Dell 530n with an ATI Radeon 2400 video card, and
Ubuntu 8.04, factory installed. Originally.

     I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.10 over the net, which went okay
except I could not enable flgrx. After devoting a day to trying
to dumb my way through video problems, I re-installed with the
Dell-supplied Canonical Ubuntu Live CD. That does not deal with
the ATI card.

     I then reverted with the recovery disk I burned when I got
the machine.

     This re-install killed my desktop. The splash and login
screen are normal, but instead of Gnome, I get a blank white
screen.

	When I ctrl-alt-F1'ed to a console session, the top of the
screen read:

"flgrx (8.476): Installing module.
	Kernel source for 2.6.24-23-generic not installed. Cannot
install this module."

	I assume this explains why I've got no desktop - just
a blank white screen with a mouse pointer.

	After logging in, the greeting text began with
"Linux dell-desktop 2.6.24-23-generic #1 SMP Mon Jan 26 00:13:11
UTC 2009 i686".

     I have no idea how to proceed, I hope some kind soul can
help.

  - h.