Resolved no sound on my Dell mini-9

Jim Barber jim.barber.linux at gmail.com
Tue Mar 10 21:30:30 CDT 2009

In Vol. 31, issue #9 I asked for help because I had no sound.  Thanks to
rheryerdahl for steering me to www.ubuntumini.com even though his
solution did not work for me at the time.  I was using Hardy Heron at
the time.  I have since switched back to factory install and just
recently decided to try the Linux Desktop version again, installing
Intrepid Ibex.

I went to the Intrepid page and then to the user guide where the
instructions for making the sound work was located.  In the terminal I did:

    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

then I added to the file:

    options snd-hda-intel model=dell

I rebooted and then went to the volume control and turned the speaker
volume up to maximum.  I now have sound.  The one thing I didn't do the
first time was to adjust the speaker volume.

Thanks everybody, this is one more reason to the hundreds I already have
that make me very glad I switched to Ubuntu, a great community.

Jim Barber
Aboard Esmeralda
Mexico