Vostro A860 failing atheros wireless card

Nigel Ridley nigel at prayingforisrael.net
Fri Mar 6 21:51:39 CST 2009

Mario Limonciello wrote:
> Hi Nigel:
>
> I may be mistaking this with another platform, but I had thought there
> was a Vostro platform that shipped with an Atheros card but used a fork
> of madwifi because at the time it shipped it wasn't stable. You'll want
> to check your recovery media for debs to setup this alternative driver.
> I believe it should also be stable on the latest ath5k/ath9k though.
>
> Regards

I have the original Dell Ubuntu Hardy Heron CD but wiped the Hard Disk when I did the Kubuntu
install.
I remember trying the latest (Alpha 5) Kubuntu Jaunty and it did connect to our wireless network
but now, on trying again, it is as if the Atheros card is diconnected.

How can I reload the relevant drivers/card from the cmd line to check things?

Blessings,

Nigel