Vostro A860 failing atheros wireless card

Nigel Ridley nigel at prayingforisrael.net
Fri Mar 6 12:54:07 CST 2009

We recently bought a Dell Vostro A860 pre-installed with Ubuntu Hardy Heron (did a fresh install
on Kubuntu Hardy Heron) and now suddenly the Atheros wireless card comes and goes. It can be
working then stops working - as if there is no card.
I have to open the 'Hardware Drivers Manager', disable the atheros drivers, reboot the laptop, go
back to 'Hardware Drivers Manager', re-enable the drivers, reboot and then the wireless woks for
about 5 minutes before dying - 'No connection'.

How can I determine the exact problem - if it's a driver or hardware issue?

Blessings,

Nigel