Query re Mini 9 and 12

Thomas Zunder tom.zunder at ncl.ac.uk
Thu Mar 5 03:41:27 CST 2009

I have received my Mini 12 with Ubuntu. I am very happy with it but was
puzzled by what happened when I tried to add extra third party
repositories such as medibuntu or the google or skype repositories.

With medibuntu Synaptic only showed a small sub set of the packages that
I know are there. Others were reported as having Error 404 issues.

Searching the 'Net I noted that enabling the usual Canonical
repositories was to be avoided, that the mini uses a new set of
repositories.
Following from that I read that I could force skype to install with a
'force architecture' switch.

I noted that people have described the mini as using an lpia and not a
386 architecture. But I have also seem people talk of using standard
Ubuntu repositories on a fresh install on a Mini.

Is there somewhere that this is documented by Dell so that I can read of
what this means, why it was done, and what the effect is with regard to
wider software compatibility? In particular are there pieces of hardware
that only work using the mini repository?

--
Thomas Zunder
Rail Freight and Logistics Research Group Manager

Logistics Book Store: http://astore.amazon.co.uk/745
Freight and Logistics Blog: http://freightandlogisticsnews..com/