sound problem

oldcpu oldcpu at opensuse-forums.org
Sun Mar 1 13:33:35 CST 2009

OK, so you had sound working.  .... and then for some ?? reason you went
to YaST and your sound is not working.

I need to know more, as to why it stopped working.

You could try working your way thru the openSUSE audio troubleshooting
guide:
http://en.opensuse.org/SDB:AudioTroubleshooting

Ensure you moved both master and PCM volume and headphone controls up in
your mixer to 95% when testing sound. After you have confirmed basic
sound you can move those down to a lower level to remove distortion.

To test your sound I recommend you try each of these sound tests (as
both a regular user, and with root permissions) to see if one might work:

    speaker-test -Dplug:front -c2 -l5 -twav

Note Linux is case sensitive, and "D" is not the same as "d". To stop
the above test, while the konsole/xterm has the mouse focus, press
<CTRL><C> on the keyboard. Note you should check your mixer settings
(kmix if using KDE, and alsamixer if using Gnome) to ensure that PCM and
Master Volume are set around 75%. Note the test for surround sound is
different.

If that test yields errors, try instead this more simple test:

    speaker-test -c2 -l5 -twav

You should hear a lady's voice say 'FRONT RIGHT','FRONT LEFT', five
times.  If you do, then stop. Your sound works, and you have a different
problem.  Its not uncommon that one of those tests will work, and one
will not work.  Thats typical. You only need one to work.

If you have no success with the audio troubleshooting guide, then I will
need more information if I am to make a recommendation ... So can you
provide more very detailed information so a good recommendation can be
given? In the case of openSUSE-11.1, you can do that, with your PC
connected to the internet, by opening a gnome-terminal or a kde konsole
and typing with root permissions twice:

    /usr/sbin/alsa-info.sh

the first time it will update the diagnostic script, and the second time
that will run the diagnostic script and post the output to a web site on
the Internet. It will give you the URL of the web site. Please post that
URL here. Just the URL.

Also, please to provide additional information, copy and paste the
following commands one line at a time into a gnome-terminal or a konsole
and post here the output:

    rpm -qa | grep alsa
    rpm -qa | grep pulse
    rpm -q libasound2