wireless lost after Ubuntu 8.04 update on D630

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 11:24:06 CST 2009

Kumar Appaiah wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 05:47:06AM -0800, Ken Funk wrote:
>> Kumar wrote:
>>> One thing which you might want to check is if there are problems
>>> dmesg|grep ndiswrapper and let us know if some error message appears
>>> there?
>> With kernel 2.6.24-19-generic (old kernel, wireless working), dmesg|grep
>> ndiswrapper returns
>> [   25.215192] ndiswrapper version 1.52 loaded (smp=yes, preempt=no)
>> [   25.429606] ndiswrapper: driver bcmwl5 (Broadcom,09/20/2007,
>> 4.170.25.12) loaded
>> [   25.443009] ndiswrapper: using IRQ 17
>> [   25.719264] usbcore: registered new interface driver ndiswrapper
>>
>> With kernel 2.6.24-23-generic (new kernel, wireless not working),
>> dmesg|grep ndiswrapper returns nothing.
>
> I would suspect then, that you could reinstall ndiswrapper for the
> latest kernel. Usually, ndiswrapper is not present as a default module
> in vannilla kernels. Merely recompiling and reinstalling ndiswrapper
> for the new kernel would, most likely, solve your problem.

I am anything but an expert but do try and check in the menu System,
choose "hardware drivers" and make sure that the possibly existing
wireless driver there is ticked and enabled. Pity I am very far from
these computers at the moment but I think I did that to get wireless
working after upgrading from "ndiswrapper-kernel" to "driver exists" kernel.