sound problem

Mayank Daga dagamayank at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 06:46:56 CST 2009

On Sun, Mar 1, 2009 at 6:52 PM, oldcpu <oldcpu at opensuse-forums.org> wrote:

> There was a kernel update earlier this week on openSUSE-11.1 to the
> 2.6.27.19_3.2.1 kernel, and that broke the sound on some new Dell
> computers running openSUSE-11.1 Linux.  For example it very briefly
> broke the sound on my Dell Studio 15 running openSUSE-11.1.
>
> But the fix is easy, if your Dell has internet access.  There is
> guidance here:
> http://en.opensuse.org/Alsa-update
>
> You must send six zypper commands. Three commands to update the basic
> alsa packages (such as alsa, alsa-oss, alsa-plugins, alsa-plugins-pulse,
> alsa-utils, ... etc ... ).  And three commands to install the basic alsa
> driver (alsa-driver-kmp-your-kernel-verison).
>
> You can tell what alsa rpms you have installed by typing:
>     rpm -qa | grep alsa
>
> You can tell what kernel you have installed by typing:
>     uname -a
>
> In my case, since I had the 2.7.27_9.1-6.1-pae kernel (which was updated
> to the 2.6.27.19_3.2.1-pae kernel), and I had in place older versions of
> alsa, alsa-utils, alsa-plugins, alsa-plugins-pulse, alsa-firmware,
> alsa-tools, alsa-oss) I simply sent the following 6 zypper comamnds
> (note your commands may be different based upon your kernel version (ie
> default or pae)). I also typed 'su' first (no quotes - enter root
> password) to get root permissions:
>
>         zypper ar
> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/multimedia:/audio/openSUSE_11.1/multimedia
>
>         zypper install alsa alsa-oss alsa-plugins alsa-plugins-pulse
> alsa-utils alsa-tools alsa-firmware libasound2
>
>         zypper rr multimedia
>
>         zypper ar
> http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/multimedia:/audio:/KMP/openSUSE_11.1_Update/multimedia
>
>         zypper install alsa-driver-kmp-pae
>
>         zypper rr multimedia

I performed all these commands and then restarted and found that the sound
was working.

But after restarting, as soon as I went to YaST, there was a problem again
and the sound is not working anymore. I re did these commands but they say
"nothing to do". The sound is not working anymore. I am GNOME, if it matters
anyways.

Please help.