DELL inspiron 1420 with linux help!!! (URGENT)

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Thu Jun 25 01:25:14 CDT 2009

I have a Vostro 1400, that is the Inspiron 1420 "rebranded". My laptop
normally runs at around 35-40 Celsius unless I am running Virtualbox or
if KGet goes bonkers (happens sometimes, I use KDE Kubuntu).

I am still on 8.04.2 but doubt seriously that 8.10 is the culprit.
However, you did not state your hardware. I have heard that Nvidia
graphics card can give your kind of problems if you try to use the open
source drivers. If you have Nvidia try checking on Ubuntuforums.org on
how to install the Nvidia-supplied drivers instead.

If that is not the case and you have Intel graphics (as I do) I actually
suggest you backup your userdata and redo the installation, something
must have gone bananas. Or try running from a 8.04 LiveCD to see if that
makes any difference.

Good luck
Sinclair