DELL inspiron 1420 with linux help!!! (URGENT)

Chris Moss moschris at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 24 18:36:51 CDT 2009

Victor,

You mention a problem with pulseaudio. I have a Dell Inspiron 1735 and
have just installed 9.04 and cannot get the sound to work. I'm new to
Ubuntu and the mix of Alsa and Pulseaudio is among the things confusing
me.

One of the recommendations I see on several forums is to add a line into
alsa-base.conf such as
   options snd-hda-intel model=dell-m4-1
but I don't know what dell model I should add. I started by making sure
the device wasn't muted in the mixer, but there seems more to it than
that.

Any clues?

Chris