Ubuntu Hardy 8.04.2 kernel update revisited

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 06:48:33 CDT 2009

Mario Limonciello wrote:
> Hi Guys:
>
> O. Sinclair wrote:
>> Running Kubuntu Hardy 8.04.2 on Vostro 1400/inspiron 1420 I have a
>> kernel update "in the pipeline". However, having learnt from previous
>> experiences of disappearing sound and/or modem after upgrade I have
>> checked that the linux-ubuntu-modules package relating to new kernel is
>> supplied by Dell - which it is not.
>>
>> Anyone knows when/if Dell will release to the ppa repo a ubuntu-modules
>> for the new kernel 2.6.24-24?
>>
>> Sinclair
>>
> First off, sorry for the delay on an updated package for 2.6.24-24.
> We've been wanting to switch to a better solution than having to patch
> linux-ubuntu-modules every time a new kernel is rolled for hardy.
> Although it's not a time consuming task, it's hard to stay on top of it
> when there are other priorities to worry about.
>
> That being said, for some time I've been attempting to assemble a better
> solution for this problem that centers around using DKMS to provide that
> patched snd-hda-intel kernel module instead.  Unfortunately there were a
> lot of complications with building a DKMS package like this, including
> ALSA bugs and DKMS bugs that have been fixed later in the releases for
> both projects.
>
> So I've got a better solution assembled now that i've uploaded to the
> dell-team PPA.  Here's what it looks like:
>
> hsfmodem -> repackaed original conexant deb that pre-depends on
> hsfmodem-base-dkms
> hsfmodem-base-dkms -> deb that contains the ALSA 1.0.16 tree with the
> ubuntu patchset (as of 2.6.24-24) applied and the conexant patchset applied
>
> The way it will work is that provided you've got the headers installed
> for the 2.6.24 based kernel you intend on booting into, it will build
> the ALSA tree against those kernel headers /prior/ to the reboot into
> the new kernel.  There is a header postinstall script that will execute
> DKMS to do these actions.  During the next reboot, it will take longer
> than normal because conexant's init script for hsfmodem triggers and
> links with snd-hda-intel that was rebuilt by DKMS.  The end result
> should be a functional audio driver and functional modem.
>
> I've tested most of the scenarios I could think of related to the order
> of package installation, so hopefully this should be a more stable
> setup.  The one scenario I didn't test is *not* installing the headers
> during a package update.  Be sure to install *all* updates prior to a
> reboot if you are installing a new kernel.  The headers have to be
> there, the linux-ubuntu-modules has to be there and all.
>
> Hopefully this works out for you modem folks.  We don't ship internal
> modems on any systems with an OS later than 8.04, so I wouldn't expect
> to see this on a newer release than 8.04 (especially considering the
> amount of work it took to get this solution right).  If someone from the
> community would like to step up however and use the sources for these
> [...]
Just to let you know that it worked but took a bit of extra.

I was in kernel 24-23 when I finally managed to update the hsfmodem and
install hsfmodem-base-dkms. Rebooting all worked just well in said
kernel 24-23.

Rebooting into latest kernel 24-24 I now had sound - but still no modem.
I had to reinstall the hsfmodem package and reboot, then all works.

Thanks for the effort Mario and I suggest that you or someone now update
the Dell linux wiki regarding this issue as it is now outdated if not
even misleading.

Best regards,
Sinclair