Ubuntu upgrade heartache

Robert von Bismarck rvonbism at gmail.com
Mon Jun 8 05:49:34 CDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 5:53 AM, Ramon Gandia <rfg8ta at xalaska.com> wrote:

> Bob Breaux wrote:
> > I bought the Mini9 without an optical drive.  Can I use the Acer utility
> > described below (from an email by Ramon Gandia in another thread) to
> > replace the SSD and restore my OS?
>
> You can certainly use Macles' backup utility.  If the SSD drives
> are the same size, it will work right away.

If you're a bit linux-savvy, you could also use g4l
http://freshmeat.net/projects/g4l/, stick it onto a USB stick (it's quite
small, so even a *very* old stick is usually enough) and do the whole
cloning from that.

You can use unetbootin http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ to create the
bootable usb stick from the ISO image.

"Ghost for Linux" G4L is a hard disk and partition imaging and cloning tool.
The created images are optionally compressed and transferred to an FTP
server or cloned locally. Version 0.30 adds cifs (Windows) on local menu,
and mbr and ebr backup.