Ubuntu upgrade heartache

Ramon Gandia rfg8ta at xalaska.com
Sun Jun 7 22:53:53 CDT 2009

Bob Breaux wrote:
> I bought the Mini9 without an optical drive.  Can I use the Acer utility
> described below (from an email by Ramon Gandia in another thread) to
> replace the SSD and restore my OS?

You can certainly use Macles' backup utility.  If the SSD drives
are the same size, it will work right away.

If your new drive is larger, then because the loaded partition table
is for the old one, you may need to adjust the partitions time post-install.

If you think about it, the whole process is risk-free.  You still
have the original SSD, so if something goes awry, you can always fall
back on the original SSD.  Nothing gained, but also, nothing lost.

I've done all sorts of permutations here.  Macles' certainlay has one
heck of a utility here.  It has worked for me on every drive I pointed
it at.  The only limitation is that it copies only ONE drive, and that
it is relatively slow.

Ramon /|\