A rant on Dell and linux/ubuntu

Victor Kane victorkane at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 04:17:34 CDT 2009

I think it has been a fascinating discussion, and my thanks for creating the
thread.

I do feel, personally, that there are many off-topic posts, however, which
might be an indication it has run its course, although a good contribution
would always be worthwhile.

I am glad I bought my Dell 1420N with Ubuntu installed, I am so proud of
this machine, already more than a year old and ever more useful. While
corporations will always make decisions based on profit and not people's
real needs is not Dell's fault, that's for sure (that's one of the drawbacks
of the capitalist system, which is why it may be on its last legs anyway,
but that is certainly off topic).

It's worthwhile noting, however, how sweet it is when things just work.
Yesterday I purchased an HP 6300 here in Buenos Aires. I set it up via USB
cable with the family XP desktop. Then I enabled its wireless capability and
connected it to the household Wi-Fi network. I thought I would give it a try
from the 1420N running Jaunty: I went to Administer > Printing, told it to
look for printers without installing anything, it found the C6300, it
downloaded the best driver after asking me to choose (although it pointed
out the best driver recommended) and printed me up a test page, all in about
90 seconds. It's so sweet when things just work.

When I start looking for a new machine, I will certainly check out Dell's
offerings, and make choices on the basis of what's convenient.

There will always be a way to be proud of my machine running Linux and Open
Source software.

Victor Kane
http://awebfactory.coim.ar