A rant on Dell and linux/ubuntu

ed horned0wl93 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 22:37:49 CDT 2009

Pastor JW wrote:
> On Monday 01 June 2009 10:16:45 am ed wrote:
>
>> Pastor JW wrote:

>> What's a "System 76?"
>>

> http://system76.com/index.php?cPath=28

Ouch!  With prices like that, I'll stay with Acer as my laptop -- $349
for a 15.1" wide-screen, 1.6GHz AMD 2650e Athlon 64 processor, 2GB RAM,
Atheros wlan and nVidia video (both restricted...).

>>> Except for the nVidia card, it looks like a very fine machine!  If Dell
>>> doesn't get a factory installed Ubuntu XPS M1530n available again soon, I
>>> may take a closer look at the Pangolin Performance instead.
>>>
>> 2Qs:
>>
>> What's up with nVidia?  I have 2 machines (a Dell and an Acer) running
>> Ubuntu over nVidia video cards, and have no problems...
>>

> So far each kernel update has necessitated a re-install of the nVidia drivers
> in order to get any video at all on the machine we have.  Usually one has to
> try several in order to find one which works.  Which Acer are you using?
The Aspire 5515.  Came pre-loaded with Winderz Vista Home Basic, which I
wiped and replaced with Ubuntu 8.10 full install.  Couldn't beat the
price, even with the M$ Tax...  Also, I've had nothing but good fortune
back-stepping Acers to either XP or Ubuntu from Vista.  Acer is very
forthcoming to techs willing to provide after-sales service on their
machines (there aren't many of us!) -- way better than Dell at the moment...
> I  originally was looking at one as I wanted an AMD processor.  I could never
> find one without Vista so settled for the Dell.  I am also assuming since it
> has a nVidia card your Dell is not one of the n series Dells.
Nope.  Actually, its an archaic Optiplex GX-110 tower, with an antique
64MB nVidia GeForce TNT2 (PCI!).  True, I needed to do a fresh install
of Ubuntu 9.04 from Safe Graphics Mode, but she runs like a top and
serves streaming media locally, and to the rest of the house over both
wired and wireless networks...
> One thing I REALLY liked about the Inspiron 1525n pre-install I bought was LinDVD.  I use
> that, Kmail, and Skype several times everyday.

I use DeVeDe to convert and burn DVDs, and it works great.  Also free.
Otherwise, since I'm in a Gnome desktop environment (which I love!), I
use Thunderbird/Lightning, Skype and Pidgin, also daily...  :)

>> Pangolin?
>>

> Its the name of the laptop model with the performace factors I am after.
> Refer to the page I gave above.

Gotcha.  Also see my response above.

Cheers;
Ed