A rant on Dell and linux/ubuntu

Pastor JW pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org
Mon Jun 1 18:14:59 CDT 2009

On Monday 01 June 2009 2:45:52 pm Matthew Geier wrote:
> On 01/06/09 18:30, O. Sinclair wrote:
> >
> > And that is what I call not acceptable - why should you be forced  by
> > anyone to buy a product you do not intend to use?
>
>   One of the departments even banned it's Unix admins from running Linux
> desktops. They were 'directed' that they must do all 'business' using
> the standard OS/tools.

The answer to this is simple.  Having dealt with some of the more paranoid of
control driven oppressive people of this world, I find they just can't spy on
everything going on unless it is windoze.  Our penitentiary systems outlaw
anything but windoze for the exact same reason.  You have no right at all to
keep personal information from big brother and after 911 this has become much
worse.  This is all done in the name of "security"; ...ironically it is just
the opposite.

>   The windows centric central IT management looked at the Unix using
> departments and basically said 'wierdos, why can't you use the SOE like
> normal people'.

You do realize one of the definitions of "normal" is "mediocre"!!

> So saying 'why buy something we are not going to use'
> got no sympathy what so ever.

You are not to do what suits you but what suits those in control of you.  This
has been the same in all recorded history, why would it change in the age of
technology?  Whenever some holds power over you, you are a slave at best.

>   Site licensing deals also hide the costs of MSOffice, so not using it
> gets even more comments - why use OO when MSOffice is 'free'. ?
>
>   And our central IT was a big Unix site - in 4 years of changed
> management they have managed to pretty well destroy the Unix/OSS core
> and replace it with....

That is the problem, advancement has been hobbled by one very evil company.
Anything progressive has been effectively killed since the early 1980's by
this nasty company.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n><   PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org  _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403