A rant on Dell and linux/ubuntu

Pastor JW pastor_jw at the-inner-circle.org
Mon Jun 1 12:47:17 CDT 2009

http://system76.com/index.php?cPath=28

> > Except for the nVidia card, it looks like a very fine machine!  If Dell
> > doesn't get a factory installed Ubuntu XPS M1530n available again soon, I
> > may take a closer look at the Pangolin Performance instead.
>
> 2Qs:
>
> What's up with nVidia?  I have 2 machines (a Dell and an Acer) running
> Ubuntu over nVidia video cards, and have no problems...

So far each kernel update has necessitated a re-install of the nVidia drivers
in order to get any video at all on the machine we have.  Usually one has to
try several in order to find one which works.  Which Acer are you using?  I
originally was looking at one as I wanted an AMD processor.  I could never
find one without Vista so settled for the Dell.  I am also assuming since it
has a nVidia card your Dell is not one of the n series Dells.  One thing I
REALLY liked about the Inspiron 1525n pre-install I bought was LinDVD.  I use
that, Kmail, and Skype several times everyday.

> Pangolin?

Its the name of the laptop model with the performace factors I am after.
Refer to the page I gave above.

--
73 de N7PSV aka Pastor JW <n><   PDGA# 35276
http://the-inner-circle.org  _Registered Kubuntu User: #27403