A rant on Dell and linux/ubuntu

ed horned0wl93 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 09:12:13 CDT 2009

oldcpu wrote:
> Ahh ... so the complaint is NOT that you can not buy a Dell that is
> Linux compatible, ... the complain is you can not buy a Dell with Linux
> pre-installed.
>
> Given how easy it is to install Linux when a manufacturer (like Dell)
> take the time and effort to ensure their offering is Linux compatible,
> then I don't see that as a big issue. To me what is important is Linux
> runs on the PC, and it runs because Dell with Ubuntu support took the
> time to ensure it does run. That benefits all Linux distributions.

The problem is that folk who have problems with M$ don't want to pay the
"M$ Tax" to buy a machine with Winderz pre-loaded, even just to wipe it
and install Linux.  Several companies, HP and TigerDirect included, have
begun loading "FreeDOS" on their machines if they 'must' load an OS for
sale.  That way, the machine can be checked for functionality, the
customer can wipe it and install what he wants, and neither needs to pay
the M$ Tax...

Cheers;
Ed