A rant on Dell and linux/ubuntu

Art Alexion art at RHD.ORG
Mon Jun 1 07:40:10 CDT 2009

Of course, Dell pays money to MS, but the trialware suppliers pay Dell more than Dell pays MS.

When I set up a new Dell (XP) for my job, at least a half hour of my setup time is spent removing pre-installed crapware.

--
Art Alexion
MIS/Central Office Support
Resources for Human Development

----- Original Message -----
From: linux-desktops-bounces at lists.us.dell.com <linux-desktops-bounces at lists.us.dell.com>
To: Linux on Dell desktops and notebooks discussion <linux-desktops at lists.us.dell.com>
Sent: Mon Jun 01 04:27:37 2009
Subject: Re: A rant on Dell and linux/ubuntu

Of course I CAN buy computers with Windows and then install linux, in my
case Kubuntu, on them. What I ask is WHY do I have to do that? Why is
Dell only offering Ubuntu in 3-4 countries and, as it happens, the
countries where hardware/software is comparatively cheap and easy to
get? Where as in southern and eastern Africa, where I work, hardware and
software is expensive and quite often pirated.

I fail to understand why a computer with Windows is cheaper than one
without, even taking into account any "rebate" offerings. As I assume
that MS make money from Windows I assume Dell pay them money and not the
other way around.

I have also had the headache of the local M$ representative chasing me
for issuing a tender for computers without operating system, assuming
that we (in that case I worked for a government department) would pirate
Windows on them.

And no, I have not bought a support contract. Neither have I ever done
so for Windows when I have bought computers. What I question is the
level (or as it feels lately) or lack of commitment and the whole approach.

I am not saying that Dell should abandon Windows or MS - but why "hide"
the alternatives and why only offer in large countries and, again, why
are we to pay more for a computer without a software we dont want?