A rant on Dell and linux/ubuntu

Art Alexion art at RHD.ORG
Mon Jun 1 07:34:22 CDT 2009

No. It would never happen because 30% of Windows sales would also dry up.  Dell is a big supplier. MS needs them.  They need each other.

--
Art Alexion
MIS/Central Office Support
Resources for Human Development

----- Original Message -----
From: linux-desktops-bounces at lists.us.dell.com <linux-desktops-bounces at lists.us.dell.com>
To: Linux on Dell desktops and notebooks discussion <linux-desktops at lists.us.dell.com>
Sent: Sat May 30 19:58:58 2009
Subject: Re: A rant on Dell and linux/ubuntu

On 30/05/09 05:22, Art Alexion wrote:

	On Fri, 2009-05-29 at 14:20 -0400, Shawn Maggard wrote:

		Let's face it, if M$ told Dell to stop shipping systems with Linux or
		we will cut you off... what would happen?

	Wait.  If this was "Mom and Pop Computers" manufacturing in the garage,
	MS could threaten to cut them off.  But what effect would it have on MS'
	bottom line if Dell was to stop shipping windows?

99% of Dells sales would disappear overnight and the company would fold.

The 'average' person (and most of Dell corporate accounts) would simply stop buying their machines.

 At my work, we are not allowed to order machines with no windows license even if we have no intention of using it. The leasing company has stipulated that all machines MUST have a windows license sticker on them so they can see them end of lease with an OS on them. (And we have a lot of desktop Linux users, Unix labs, etc)