A rant on Dell and linux/ubuntu

Art Alexion art at RHD.ORG
Mon Jun 1 05:43:44 CDT 2009

Another reason that Linux costs OEMs more is marketing icons and trialware included with Windows that aren't included with Linux precisely because it is free.

The publishers of that software behind the icons and trialware pay the OEM more than windows costs, which makes selling windows more profitable than selling Linux.

--
Art Alexion
MIS/Central Office Support
Resources for Human Development

----- Original Message -----
From: linux-desktops-bounces at lists.us.dell.com <linux-desktops-bounces at lists.us.dell.com>
To: Linux on Dell desktops and notebooks discussion <linux-desktops at lists.us.dell.com>
Sent: Fri May 29 14:45:09 2009
Subject: Re: A rant on Dell and linux/ubuntu

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Shawn Maggard <smaggard at gmail.com> wrote:
> It seems that M$ is going to make it hard for Dell to publish the
> Linux systems as much as Dell may want, if not force them to stop the
> Dell Linux project all together.
>
> Let's face it, if M$ told Dell to stop shipping systems with Linux or
> we will cut you off... what would happen?
>
> I myself was excited when Dell announced shipping Linux systems, until
> I went to the website to order one. I was appalled by the lack of
> options and features available on the Linux models and how they were
> actually more expensive for the same or slower hardware. It didn't
> make sense to me... Linux is free and I'm slashing the M$ tax, yet it
> costs more.

The issue is that for the OS there is no Microsoft Tax. For a lot of
hardware places, Microsoft 'rebates' the vendor to ship Windows (I
have no knowledge if thats the case with Dell but I don't see why
not). Microsoft makes up for that by the vasrt number of people who
then want Office or other products installed on the system. So
actually shipping non-Windows can cost more to the manufacturer.

--
Stephen J Smoogen. -- BSD/GNU/Linux