A rant on Dell and linux/ubuntu

Ramon Gandia rfg8ta at xalaska.com
Mon Jun 1 05:21:01 CDT 2009

I think that the foreign Dell outlets are "partners."  They are not
owned by dell, but merely deal with them.

In light of that, the Dell outlet in your country may be bound by
contractual obligations with M$, or perhaps is intimidated by M$ in some
way, real or perceived.

We are not privvy to what has transpired between M$ and Dell and/or the
Partners.  I think in this thread you are beating up on the one company
that has shown some backbone and commitment.

Rather than criticize, perhaps you ought to just help out.

Also, and I think this is obvious, if your computer came with Ubuntu
8.10 installed, and you clean it out and install 9.04, you are NOT
entitled to help from Dell.

By the same token, if you buy a Dell 530 with Windows, and then install
Linux on it (which is offered as the 530N), you should not expect
support.  There ARE subtle hardware differences between some Windows
versions and the Linux ones.  Even the motherboard.  It would be
unrealistic for Dell to support Linux on a machine they do not offer it
or have verified.

Having said all that, I think this site is wonderful and will try to
help you out ... but it is User-Supported and not an official Dell
support channel.

--argee