A rant on Dell and linux/ubuntu

oldcpu oldcpu at opensuse-forums.org
Mon Jun 1 03:46:59 CDT 2009

Ahh ... so the complaint is NOT that you can not buy a Dell that is
Linux compatible, ... the complain is you can not buy a Dell with Linux
pre-installed.

Given how easy it is to install Linux when a manufacturer (like Dell)
take the time and effort to ensure their offering is Linux compatible,
then I don't see that as a big issue. To me what is important is Linux
runs on the PC, and it runs because Dell with Ubuntu support took the
time to ensure it does run. That benefits all Linux distributions.

If I wanted to be negative in my assessment, I would rant and complain
why does Dell only offer Ubuntu and not x-Linux nor y-Linux. The truth
is it does not matter what Linux, as long as it is a reasonably
supported Linux that tries to follow the Linux trends and rather loose
standards. Linux is Linux and as long as Dell have taken the time and
effort to ensure compatibility with Linux (and clearly they have done
so) then IMHO that is adequate.

And clearly YOU CAN get a Dell laptop that will work with Ubuntu. Its
just you don't want to install Ubuntu on a Linux compatible Dell PC.
That was NOT clear from your initial rant (per the subject: "A rant on
Dell and linux/ubuntu).

In truth, from my perspective, this is a Ubuntu rant, and not a Linux rant.