Switching between kde and gnome

George Bourozikas george at bourozikas.net
Wed Feb 25 09:03:31 CST 2009

On Monday 23 February 2009 15:44:01 Thierry Andriamirado wrote:
> Le Mon, 23 Feb 2009 14:08:41 -0500,
> Chuck <chuckh1958 at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> > decided to switch back. That has been more of a problem. I cannot get
> > the original kubuntu login screen, and everything I try in the ubuntu
>
> maybe is it because 'gdm' (Gnome Desktop Manager) is now your login
> manager? I can't remember how you can start the kde's one, but you can
> stop, start or restart gdm by doing:
>
> 'sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop' for example.

You can use KDE with gdm and GNOME with kdm.  The thing that doesn'work is
"User Switching" unless the underlying desktop manager is teh same as your
desktop environment.

To switch:

Log in on a tty (Alt-Ctl-F1)

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop   (if you are running gdm)
sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop   (for kdm)

sudo dpkg-reconfigure gdm   (or kdm - doesn't matter)

--george