wireless on kubuntu

Chuck chuckh1958 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 11 12:56:16 CST 2009

Joakim Karlsson wrote:

> Can you see them in the applet? I have that problem sometimes. It seems like
> the applet scanning before the wireless card is ready, so what I do is to
> deactivate the wireless card and then reactivate it.
>
> I'm running kubuntu 8.10 with KDE 4.2

I got it working but I'm not exactly certain how. One thing I noticed
was that network-manager was NOT installed even though it's listed as a
dependency for knetworkmanager. I installed it and I think that's when
it started working. Even better is it's working with WPA Enterprise
wireless networks which never worked on my old distro. Hoot hoot!

I also finally got the MS Exchange GAL working in Evolution. Seems the
problem was it was not authenticating with the ldap server. I had to
switch it.

At this point I think I'm sticking with kubuntu unless I find some other
show stopper.