linux.dell.com wiki access

oldcpu oldcpu at opensuse-forums.org
Sun Feb 8 02:04:34 CST 2009

I have had a different experience with Dell computers, in that I am
satisfied.

I first purchased a Dell Inspiron 2100 for my mother in December 2001.
The computer originally came with a 40GB hard drive, 256MB of RAM, and
winME as the operating system.  A year later my brother purchased WinXP
which I installed for him in a dual boot with winME, and then later
installed openSUSE-10.2 in a triboot with winME, winXP, and
openSUSE-10.2.  I have also upgraded the RAM to 512MB (which was
relatively easy due to the well designed PC construction by Dell) and
replaced the 40 GB hard drive with a 160 GB hard drive (cloning the 40GB
to the 160GB with linux program "dd" and then exanding selected
partitions with gParted and openSUSE-11.1, which is now installed in
place of openSUSE-10.2).  That PC is reliable, it still works great, and
it still looks like new.

Recently in Nov 2008 I purchased a Dell Studio 15 laptop with winVista
with a 250 GB hard drive.  I reduced the winVista partition in size to
70GB with gParted live CD, installed openSUSE-11.1 on the laptop, and
openSUSE-11.1 works well.  There are a few minor hiccups with
openSUSE-11.1 (hdmi audio does not function, internal mics do not
function, external VGA mode (for use with projectors) is random and
needs some work), but overall, the laptop runs well.  I've read of many
other manufactuer's laptops having significantly worse problems than
these minor hiccups with this Dell Studio 15.

Getting the headset functionality to function properly on the Dell
Studio 15 did require the direct help from a Linux alsa developer, as
the headset mute  functionality under Linux either (1) also did not work
under Ubuntu, or (2) if it did work under Ubuntu, then the Ubuntu
developers had not migrated their updates/fixes upstream to alsa (ie did
not share their solution).  Still for openSUSE, the alsa dev did produce
a fix in the end, he also migrated the fix he came up with upstream to
alsa (sharing his solution), and the headset and speaker functionality
now works fine.

I think it is far to say that my experience with Dell PCs under Linux is
completely different from those who have had problems.  Overall I am
happy with my Dell experience.