Help - Function of Dell Studio 1537 partitions ?

Scott Purcell scott at texastwister.info
Thu Dec 24 13:53:54 CST 2009

Since you kept them both, this is hopefully not too late to be of use -- but
the smaller partition (the utility partition) typically has at least a
diagnostic application and may on some systems have other utilities as
well.  I believe it is usually on a FAT filesystem  (not sure whether 16 or
32) even though the partition type is "Dell Utility".  While it is sometimes
convenient to have it on the drive (and with a little work you should be
able to boot it from GRUB), it contains nothing that is not also
downloadable from support.dell.com.  So if you don't care about having  Dell
Diagnostics readily available instead of a download away, it can safely be
deleted.

As previously noted, the other one is a system reinstall partition.  If
you're confident you'll never want to use it to reinstall Vista, you can
safely remove it.