Slightly OT: Hard Disk Backup program?

Richard Perry perryrt at hotmail.com
Sat Aug 29 23:08:39 CDT 2009

I need/want a hard drive backup solution....for my Inspiron 1420 and three
other Linux machines.

Linux/Ubuntu will do this several ways, but none of them really seem to work
the way I want them to. What I'm looking for is a program I can start up
either in the OS or by booting from a CD/USB, then will allow me to make a
complete copy of the entire drive - OS, configurations, drivers, everything
from soup to nuts and save it to a different network drive. Then if it ALL
goes horribly wrong, I want to be able to boot my machine from a recovery
CD/USB and pull back the image from the network drive.

The packages I've been looking at appear to be able to do MOST of this job,
but don't seem to be able to duplicate the whole partition, or assume you
format and install Ubuntu on the computer first ... or maybe it's just
another thing about *nix usage that I Just Don't Understand Yet.

Anyway, I'm looking for suggestions...bonus points are available for
packages available in the Ubuntu 9.04 repository.

Thanks, folks!