Linux-Desktops Digest, Vol 37, Issue 11

Robert von Bismarck rvonbism at gmail.com
Thu Aug 13 09:55:22 CDT 2009

Is the webcam connected on the USB bus ('lsusb' will show a logitech/dell
device) ? In that case it might be the hotplug/hal daemon that queries the
USB bus every x seconds/minutes for new devices and somehow activates the
uvcvideo driver.
I had that issue once with a USB drive that would go to sleep when connected
without any partitions mounted, and would wake up at regular intervals. I
broke the hotplug config trying to get rid of this behaviour and since then
I have to mount all my USB devices by hand, which is a bit of a bummer :)