CentOS Graphics issue on Dell Optiplex 760's using intel driver

Gar gar.nelson at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 7 08:20:42 CDT 2009

I have Centos 5 on a Precision 380 with an Nvidia based video card.  It's currently driving two Dell E207WFP widescreen monitors at 1680x1050 resolution.

I use an xorg.conf and manually edited the file for the correct horizontal and vertical settings for the displays, along with the display resolution I wanted.  I also use the proprietary Nvidia driver downloaded from Nvidia's site.

So, I'd say there's nothing inherently wrong with Centos, or 'X'. My best guess would be that a) you need to manually edit xorg.conf, b) your intel driver is not up for it, or c) your intel graphics are not up for driving that kind of resolution.  If you're using an onboard Intel graphics chip, that would actually be my first guess. You might want to consider putting a decent graphics card in the box.

I had an old Dell 2400 mini tower at home with Intel Extreme Graphic on board that were far from "extreme".  I never did manage to get decent video out of that box. Unfortunately, it didn't have ePCI or AGP slots either so I eventually ended up giving it away.

Cheers,
Gar