CentOS Graphics issue on Dell Optiplex 760's using intel driver

Clint Dilks clintd at scms.waikato.ac.nz
Thu Aug 6 23:01:25 CDT 2009

Hi Everyone,

I am writing to ask if other are experiencing lot of problems with the
CentOS 5 intel X Driver on Optiplex 760's?

In a batch that my work have just purchased I am finding that I can't
get a resolution better than 1280 x 1024 @60Hz and that even when I get
this resolution (according to the monitor) software tools like xrandr
might report the resolution as 1024 x 768 @ 30Hz.  It also seems that
there are no wide screen modes supported.

So firstly can anyone confirm of deny that this is a known issue?  And
does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve the issue?

Just out of interest I tried installing Fedora 11 and this increased the
number of modes available and seemed to make resolution shown is
software match what the monitor said as far as resolution but still no
widescreen modes are available.

Thank you for any thoughts or suggestions you have relating to this issue.