No sound after upgrade from 7.10 to 8.04

Bob Haugen bob.haugen at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 14:33:28 CDT 2009

On Wed, 05 Aug 2009 08:12:41 +0200 <o.sinclair at gmail.com> wrote:
> did you install the linux-ubuntu-modules?

According to the Synaptic Package Manager, none of them are installed.

Is that something to install all at once, or selectively (module by module)?

And if I install any or all of them, what are they supposed to do for me?

> As I get it you seem to have "sort of sound", something I have never
> experienced.

I get sound in the Flash player in the browser, or in desktop mp3 and
movie files, but not both at the same time.  Whichever starts first
appears to disable the other.  The mp3 sound only reappears after I
shut down the browser.

> Either it has been gone (mixer icon is crossed out) or it
> works in all things I use (musicplaying, videoplaying, youtube/flash
> videos etc).

That's what I had at first.  What I got now is better, even though still flakey.

> Hope you can sort it out and sorry I am not able to assist.

Thanks for trying.