No sound after upgrade from 7.10 to 8.04

O. Sinclair o.sinclair at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 10:30:14 CDT 2009

This is a known problem if/when you install the modem drivers and then
update the kernel. It is a loooong story but here is the most recent
advice from Dell maintainers (the wiki is never updated so is by now
pretty useless):
Basically, if you have the Dell ppa repository and have installed the
DKMS packages you should install the hsf-modem drivers and then be OK
with sound. You must install linux-ubuntu-modules package first of all.
Then here is the email from Dell:

"First off, sorry for the delay on an updated package for 2.6.24-24.
We've been wanting to switch to a better solution than having to patch
linux-ubuntu-modules every time a new kernel is rolled for hardy.
Although it's not a time consuming task, it's hard to stay on top of it
when there are other priorities to worry about.

That being said, for some time I've been attempting to assemble a better
solution for this problem that centers around using DKMS to provide that
patched snd-hda-intel kernel module instead.  Unfortunately there were a
lot of complications with building a DKMS package like this, including
ALSA bugs and DKMS bugs that have been fixed later in the releases for
both projects.

So I've got a better solution assembled now that i've uploaded to the
dell-team PPA.  Here's what it looks like:

hsfmodem -> repackaed original conexant deb that pre-depends on
hsfmodem-base-dkms
hsfmodem-base-dkms -> deb that contains the ALSA 1.0.16 tree with the
ubuntu patchset (as of 2.6.24-24) applied and the conexant patchset applied

The way it will work is that provided you've got the headers installed
for the 2.6.24 based kernel you intend on booting into, it will build
the ALSA tree against those kernel headers prior to the reboot into the
new kernel.  There is a header postinstall script that will execute DKMS
to do these actions.  During the next reboot, it will take longer than
normal because conexant's init script for hsfmodem triggers and links
with snd-hda-intel that was rebuilt by DKMS.  The end result should be a
functional audio driver and functional modem.

I've tested most of the scenarios I could think of related to the order
of package installation, so hopefully this should be a more stable
setup.  The one scenario I didn't test is not installing the headers
during a package update.  Be sure to install all updates prior to a
reboot if you are installing a new kernel.  The headers have to be
there, the linux-ubuntu-modules has to be there and all.

Hopefully this works out for you modem folks.  We don't ship internal
modems on any systems with an OS later than 8.04, so I wouldn't expect
to see this on a newer release than 8.04 (especially considering the
amount of work it took to get this solution right).  If someone from the
community would like to step up however and use the sources for these
packages to develop an 8.10, 9.04, or 9.10 solution you are welcome to
do so.  I've posted them at:

https://code.edge.launchpad.net/~dell-team/dell/hsfmodem-base-hardy
and
https://code.edge.launchpad.net/~dell-team/dell/hsfmodem-driver-hardy

I'll be glad to sponsor a functional solution for any of those other
OSes into the dell-team PPA.

Regards
--
Mario Limonciello
Dell | Linux Engineering

As for flash headaches - do install restricted-extras package or
download flash-installer from Adobe website. Both work in my experience.
sound headeaches: install restricted-extras, install w32codecs and for
dvd dvd2css (I think, you had better check)

Add Medibuntu repositories first, google on Medibuntu. For Dell PPA repo
check out Dell pages.

As a general advice I use AptonCD as a sort of system backup these days
in case I have to reinstall or update other users computers instead of
downloading GBs of updates.