What distro on a Dell CPI

Les Denham les at iiandt.com
Mon Aug 3 12:16:21 CDT 2009

On Monday 03 August 2009, luis r wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I have a Dell CPi a-series, Ram Memory: 64M, CPU speed: 300MHz, HD:4Gb.
> I was wondering if anyone can recommend me a distro that works with this
> model?
>
> Thanks!
> Luis

I have a similar computer, but with a 20Gb disk, and have installed Gentoo
Linux on it, though not without a lot of experimentation.  In particular, I
had to carefully go through the kernel setup, eliminating everything not
essential and compiling everything as a module where this was possible.  If
the kernel is larger than the RAM you will have problems.  My final install
was quite usable, though it took about 72 hours to install (Gentoo compiles
everything as it is installed).

Unless you want to learn a lot about the internals of Linux, I wouldn't
recommend Gentoo.  DSL might be your best choice.

--
Les Denham
Vice President