No sound after upgrade from 7.10 to 8.04

Bob Haugen bob.haugen at gmail.com
Sun Aug 2 17:09:14 CDT 2009

One more "interesting" problem:  the flash plugin was no longer
installed in Firefox.  When I got to YouTub's flash movie player, I
selected the option to install the plugin.  Said it had installed
successfully, but the page did not recognize it.  Restarted Firefox,
no diff (except clicking to install the plugin now said it was
installed). Rebooted completely, still no diff.

Wonder if this might be related to the sound problem?

Found more about the sound problem, too.  Seems to be well known, but
the supposed workaround does not make a lot of sense to me.  Of course
the Dell "fix" page did not make any sense, either and did not work...