Bluetooth on D630

Mario_Limonciello at Dell.com Mario_Limonciello at Dell.com
Tue Oct 28 14:40:18 CDT 2008

BlueZ
> > stack?  There is support for a few adapters to switch from HID to
HCI
> modes.
> >
> > Something else you can try is this:
> >
> > sudo dellWirelessCtl --sw_bt 1 --bt 1
> >
> > See if that turns the adapter on for you.
> >
> > If you do get it working with that suggestion, I've got some more
> > questions for you still, so please post the lsusb output in that
> case.
> >

> I downloaded the source for  libsmbios and built the package (it
wasn't
> available on my distro. I loaded dcdbas with modprobe. The bluetooth
> adapter still appears to be disabled (the bluetooth light is off and I
> can't scan nearby devices that I know are on). Here's the output I
get.

> # dellWirelessCtl --sw_bt 1 --bt 1
> Wireless Info:
>         Hardware switch supported
>         Hardware switch is On
>         WiFi Locator supported
>         Wireless Keyboard not supported
>         NVRAM Size: 256 bytes
>         NVRAM format version: 1
>
> Radio Status for WLAN:
>         WLAN supported
>         WLAN installed
>         WLAN enabled
>         Status Code: 0
>
> Radio Status for Bluetooth:
>         Bluetooth supported
>         Bluetooth installed
>         Bluetooth enabled
>         Status Code: 0
>
> Radio Status for WWAN:
>         WWAN supported
>         WWAN not installed
>         WWAN enabled
>         Status Code: 2
>
> Wireless Switch Configuration
>         WLAN switch control on
>         Bluetooth switch control on
>         WWAN switch control on
>         switch config not locked
>         WiFi locator enabled
>         WiFi Locator config not locked
>
> # hcitool scan
> Scanning ...
> #

Hi Chuck:

So after you turned it on using this tool, check lsusb output to see if
the adapter is listed.  If it's listed check and see hciconfig sees a
hci0.  If it does, then the adapter is enabled.  Depending on the kernel
that shipped with your distro, you might need a reset quirk for the
adapter still though.  You can try to set a modprobe option for reset=1
on btusb or hci_usb (depending on the kernel).

Regards